Monday, January 20, 2014

A Day Our Way- A schedule linky and MLK Sale

I'm linking up with Where the Wild Things Learn for her A Day Our Way Linky. Here is a peak at my day.

Morning work usually consists of finishing up independent math work from the day before. Students keep a folder for any unfinished work. Students who are done work on practicing spelling words or reading.

Spelling and Grammar - I don't have a huge block for this, but it's also incorporated into our daily 5 time.

Whole group reading - This is the time I spend teaching reading strategies with the entire class.

Daily 5 - I meet with most groups every day. My lower groups just get more time with me. My higher group might only meet with me a couple of times a week, but will be working on reading projects they've started in my group. This is my favorite time of the day and things are actually pretty calm in my room despite students moving around and making choices about their learning. I have a few kids who still aren't very independent despite that the year is half over.

Writing - We are just beginning informational writing after finishing up units on narrative and opinion. My kids really LOVE writing.

Math - We are working on 2 and 3-digit addition and subtraction right now. Can I say how challenging this skill is for some kids? I'm so thankful that I don't teach the standard algorithm at my grade level. Using place value strategies has really helped my kids and many are doing a great deal of the calculations in their head at this point. I still require them to show their thinking on paper.

Science/Social Studies - We are focusing on Martin Luther King, Jr. this week.

Duty - I didn't list this on the schedule, but we rotate before and after school among all teachers. I miss the days (before budget cuts...thank you state legislature) when we had more time in our classroom before and after school. Imagine having more time to actually get ready for teaching to all those high standards instead of doing duty! 

It's been great to check out all the schedules. It looks like most of us don't have a spare moment in our day! Click on the picture below to jump over to Where the Wild Things Learn to join the linky and share your day.

http://thewildthingslearn.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-day-our-way-schedule-linky.html


 I'm also throwing a sale in my TPT store today. Click on the picture below to head over and check it out. Click HERE to go to my Facebook page and leave a comment on my post about my MLK Literacy Activity Packet to win it for free.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teachergonedigital


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Morning duty is one of my least favorite things ever! One of the first things our current principal did when she got the job was get rid of morning duty. She won me over right away!

Jenny
Suntans and Lesson Plans